It's no surprise that Elves love the color green. Green Christmas Trees. Green Ornaments. Green Elf costumes. So, while tinkering in the Elf squad Kitchen, we decided to come up with a fun holiday recipe that turns one of our favorite drinks green - hot chocolate.
Whether you are throwing a Grinch-Themed holiday party or looking for some extra luck on St. Patrick's Day, this unique hot chocolate recipe can be enjoyed any time of year. With its rich and creamy chocolate base, matcha powder for an added boost of green, and a dash of peppermint extract for that classic holiday flavor, this hot chocolate will have you feeling some Christmas magic with an extra dash of Irish luck.
Green Matcha Hot Chocolate Ingredients:
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- Green food coloring
- 1/4 tsp matcha powder
- Whipped cream, for topping (optional)
- Marshmallows, for garnish
Green Matcha Hot Chocolate Instructions:
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk and cream over medium heat until it starts to steam. Do not boil.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar, cocoa powder, and matcha powder until there are no lumps.
- Slowly add the sugar, cocoa, and matcha mixture to the milk mixture, whisking constantly until it is fully combined.
- Add the vanilla and peppermint extracts and stir until well mixed.
- Add a few drops of green food coloring and mix well until the desired shade of green is reached.
- Remove the pan from heat and pour the hot chocolate into mugs.
- Top with whipped cream and marshmallows for garnish. Use Lucky Charms marshmallows for some extra St. Paddy's fun!
Be sure to check out some other holiday favorite recipes straight from The Elf Squad Kitchen!
Looking to add some extra green to your holiday display this year?