If asked to name the one holiday confection that typifies the Christmas season more than any other, many people’s vote would probably be for fruitcake. Whether you make it, gift it, or walk right past it when on display at the grocery store, fruitcake is indisputably a sign that Christmas is upon us. But when temperatures soar, fruitcake isn’t foremost on people’s minds. Fresh, seasonal fruit is where it’s at—which is why a fruit pizza is a great summer version of a holiday favorite. It’s great for a picnic or barbeque—or just a fun summer dessert!
The base of our fruit pizza is a giant sugar cookie, which is then topped with a cream-cheese icing and lots of colorful fruit. Since the fruit isn’t baked, you can have your pick of literally anything you desire. Choose it with an eye to taste, of course, but also how it will look on the pizza. Decorating is half the fun!
Fruit Pizza Ingredients
Easy Sugar Cookie Dough:
- 1 cup softened butter
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2/3 cup white sugar
Cream Cheese Icing:
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
Your Choice of Fruit
You can use any assortment of summer fruits—strawberries, kiwi, blueberries, peaches, etc. For an authentic holiday taste, try using a combination of fresh pineapple, oranges, cherries, dates, currants and other fresh substitutions for dried fruits typically found in fruitcakes.
Fruit Pizza Special Equipment
- Pizza Pan, Round Pan or Sheet Pan
- Mixing bowl
- Handheld or stand mixer
Step By Step Instructions - How To Make Fruit Pizza
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line baking sheet or pizza pan with parchment paper.
- Mix butter and sugar until well blended.
- Add in flour and vanilla. At this step, you can also add some cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and citrus spices for a base that resembles the flavor of fruitcake.
- Form into one large ball; flatten with your hands until it’s about ¼ inch thick in the pizza pan. (If you’re using a large rectangular pan, the dough should take up half the pan.)
- Bake for about 15 minutes until golden. (Halfway though, check, and rotate the pan.)
- Remove from pan (carefully!) and let cool.
- While cookie base is cooling, blend cream cheese, sugar and vanilla in a mixer until combined.
- When sugar cookie crust is cool to touch, spread with icing.
- Top with your choice of fruit— this is a great job for kids.
- Enjoy your showstopping desert!
Be sure to check out some other holiday favorite recipes straight from The Elf Squad Kitchen!